Muhammad Asiful Islam
Department of Computer Science,
*UPDATE*I graduated from Stony Brook and joined Google, where I'm working on Data Mining and Machine Learning problems.
- Machine Learning
- Data Mining
- Information Retrieval
- Web Accessibility
PhD, Computer Science (Fall 2007- May 2012)
- State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY
- GPA: 4.0
- Thesis: Inference and Learning in Probabilistic Logic Programs with Continuous Random Variables
B.Sc. in Computer Science and Engineering (2006)
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- GPA: 3.92
- Thesis: A Hybrid Approach to Design Neural Network Ensembles
Higher Secondary Certificate
- Dhaka College
- Total Marks: 926 out of 1000, stood 11th in order of merit
Research Assistant, Web Accessibility Lab, Computer Science, SUNY-Stony Brook, NY. (Jun'08 - Present)
Working on Machine Learning and Information Retrieval based algorithms for HearSay Non-Visual Web Browser.
Research Assistant, Applied Logic Lab, Computer Science, SUNY-Stony Brook, NY. (Jan'10 - Present)
Working on Statistical Machine Learning algorithms for integrating statistical and logical reasoning systems.
Research Intern, Google Inc, Mountain View, CA. (Summer 2011)
Worked on the application of machine learning technology to improve ads-quality.
Research Intern, Google Inc, Seattle, WA. (Summer 2010)
Worked on the application of machine learning technology to ad selection for online advertising. In particular, built a simulation system that allowed experimentation with the impact of switching from one model to another, and designed algorithms to minimize the cost of switches.
Software Engineering Intern, Next Jump Inc, Cambridge, MA. (Summer 2009)
Developed some web based tools for network operation center. Analyzed large scale and complex network traffic data and used statistical learning algorithms to model network behavior and detect anomalies.
Teaching Assistant, Department of Computer Science at Stony Brook University, NY. (Aug'07 - May'08)
Quantitative Software Developer, Stochastic Logic Ltd, Dhaka, Bangladesh. (Nov'06 - Aug'07)
Developed some web based financial and scientific computing modules under supervision of Dr. Arif Dowla (PhD, UCSD).
1. I.V. Ramakrishnan, Jalal Mahmud, Yevgen Borodin, Muhammad Asiful Islam, Faisal Ahmed, "Bridging the Web Accessibility Divide". In Proceedings of 4th Int'l Workshop on Automated Specification and Verification of Web Systems (WWV'08), Elsevier ENTCS, Volume 235, Pages 107-124, April 2009. [pdf]
2. Md. Monirul Islam, Xin Yao (Fellow, IEEE), S.M. Shahriar Nirjon, Muhammad Asiful Islam, Kazuyuki Murase, "Bagging and Boosting Negatively Correlated Neural Networks". IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Part B: Cybernetics, vol. 38, NO. 3, June 2008. (http://www.ieeesmc.org/) [pdf]
1. Muhammad Asiful Islam, C.R. Ramakrishnan, I.V. Ramakrishnan, "Inference in Probabilistic Logic Programs with Continuous Random Variables". In Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Logic Programming (ICLP'12).
2. Muhammad Asiful Islam, Faisal Ahmed, Yevgen Borodin, I.V. Ramakrishnan, "Thematic Organization Of Web Content for Distraction-Free Text-To-Speech Narration". In Proceedings of the 14th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, (ASSETS'12).
3. Faisal Ahmed, Yevgen Borodin, Andrii Soviak, Muhammad Asiful Islam, I.V. Ramakrishnan and Terri Hedgpeth "Accessible Skimming: Faster Screen Reading of Web Pages". In Proceedings of the 25th ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, (UIST'12).
4. Muhammad Asiful Islam, Faisal Ahmed, Yevgen Borodin, I.V. Ramakrishnan, "Tightly Coupling Visual and Linguistic Features for Enriching Audio-Based Web Browsing Experience". In Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM'11).
5. Muhammad Asiful Islam, Yevgen Borodin, I.V. Ramakrishnan, "Mixture Model based Label Association Techniques for Web Accessibility". In Proceedings of the 23rd ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, (UIST'10). [pdf]
6. Muhammad Asiful Islam, Faisal Ahmed, Yevgen Borodin, Jalal Mahmud, I.V. Ramakrishnan, "Improving Accessibility of Transaction-centric Web Objects". In Proceedings of the 10th SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, (SDM'10). [pdf]
7. Faisal Ahmed, Muhammad Asiful Islam, Yevgen Borodin, I.V. Ramakrishnan, "Assistive Web Browsing with Touch Interfaces". In Proceedings of the 12th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, (ASSETS'10). [pdf]
8. Y. Borodin, F. Ahmed, M.A. Islam, S. Feng, Y. Puzis, V. Melnyk, G. Dausch, I.V. Ramakrishnan, "Hearsay: A New Generation Context-Driven Multi-Modal Assistive Web Browser". In Proceedings of the 19th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW'10). [pdf]
9. S.M. Shahriar Nirjon, Muhammad Asiful Islam, Sarker Tanzir Ahmed. "Diverse Ensemble Creation by a Data Feeding Approach" In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT), Bangladesh, 2006.
1. Muhammad Asiful Islam, "Mixture Model based Unsupervised Parts Grouping". XSB Inc, NY, May 2010.
1. Mixture Model based Label Association Techniques for Web Accessibility, at UIST'10.
2. Assistive Web Browsing with Touch Interfaces, at ASSETS'10.
3. Hearsay: A New Generation Context-Driven Multi-Modal Assistive Web Browser, at WWW'10.
Awards and Achievements
- University Fellowship- State University of New York - Stony Brook, 2007-2008.
- 10th in ACM ICPC Regionals 2007, Greater New York Region.
- Deans Award, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 2001-2006.
- University Merit Scholarship, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 2001-2006.
- Board Scholarship, Government of Bangladesh Education, 1999-2006.
- Academic Excellence Award, Suhrawardy Hall, Bangladesh Univ. of Engg. and Tech, 2006
- Gold Medal Award, Dhaka College, 2000, for securing 11th position in H.S.C.
- Programming Language: Java, C/C++, C#, ASP, JSP, PHP, 80x86 Assembly Language, XML, HTML, Java Script, Python, Shell Programming, PL/SQL, Prolog.
- Hardware Description Language: SPICE, Verilog HDL.
- 3D API: OpenGL.
- Framework: Jakarta Struts.
- Database Server: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, MS Access.
- Operating Systems: Variants of Linux, Mac, and Windows.
- Server: Apache, Tomcat.
- Competent in Matlab and Mathematica.
- HearSay Non-Visual Web Browser.
- XSB, Logic programming system.
- Classifying articles from labeled and unlabeled documents using EM.
- Design and Implementation of a Compiler for Decaf Language.
- A 16-bit Unix like Operating System.
- Implementation of the OSI Layered Network Architecture Model.
- Design and implementation of a 4-Bit Digital Computer.
- Hotel Information System using Struts framework.
- Computer-controlled crane using parallel port interfacing.
- Letter and Image Recognition Software using Neural Network based learning program.
- Airline Ticket Reservation System using Java.
- Design and Implementation of a Compiler for C Programming Language.
- A File Recovery utility that recovers deleted files from floppy disks.
- A Zip utility that uses popular zip algorithms using C++.
- A Networked MCQ Exam System using Java.
- Game: Paranoid.
Analysis of Algorithms (CSE 548), Discrete Mathematices(CSE547), Artificial Intelligence (CSE 537), Machine Learning(CSE592), Compiler Design(CSE504), Computing with Logic(CSE505), Fundamentals of Computer Networks(CSE534), Data Mining(CSE590), Information Retrieval(CSE691), Special Topics in Programming Languages(CSE670).
Algorithms, Theory of Computation, Data Structures, Programming Languages(C,C++,Java),
Compilers, Computer Architecture, Operating Systems, VLSI Design.
Data Communication, Communication Engineering, Computer Networks,
Database, Software Engineering, System Analysis, Design and Development,
Artificial Intelligence, Pattern Recognition, Machine Learning, Computer Graphics.
- Available on request