Grad Buddies Program
Student mentor list is up!
Click here for a list of student mentors!
The Grad Buddies program is designed to help junior graduate students get the guidance they need (academic or otherwise) from senior graduate students in the department. The idea is motivated by a similar setup within the department: 1st year PhD students are assigned an ‘academic advisor’ (a faculty member) who guides them towards selecting a thesis advisor. We believe settling into a PhD program requires more than just academic guidance, and the best way to get such guidance is from fellow graduate students. Therefore, we want to create a platform to connect junior graduate students seeking guidance with senior graduate students who are willing to help.
The ProgramSTUDENT MENTORS
- PhD: Students who have completed at least 2 years in the program.
- MS: Students who have completed at least 1 year in the program.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Student mentors are required to have at least 2 (virtual) meetings in the semester to interact with the student mentee(s) assigned to them.
- Provide academic/non-academic mentorship to their assigned student mentee(s) as required, to the best of their ability.
We encourage student mentors to go above and beyond in order to help their fellow junior graduate students settle into their lives at Stony Brook!STUDENT MENTEES
- All graduate students are welcome to enroll if they think they can benefit from mentorship of any of the student mentors.
- Respect the time of senior students as they are usually busy with their respective work loads. Try to have all your queries addressed inside scheduled meetings.
- Avoid spamming your student mentor with individual queries outside of scheduled meetings.
- Feel free to schedule as many meetings as both parties are comfortable having. Student mentors are required to organize at least 2 meetings during the semester.
The default matching process is random unless the mentee chooses one the additional options:
- Match based on maximum alignment in the information provided via the enrollment form.
- Match with a preferred individual. Student mentors who are comfortable in doing so, will have their information posted on the CSGSO website ahead of the matching process so that mentees can go through the list. A mentee can provide a list of at most 3 individuals they’d like to be matched with. Note that matching with a preferred student mentor is not guaranteed. If we’re unable to match you with one of your preferences, we’ll reach out to you with alternatives. We’ll give you the option to unenroll from the program if you are not comfortable with the alternatives.
Once the matching process is concluded, we’ll send out an email or setup a slack channel to connect student mentees with their mentors.
- 09/18: Deadline to enroll as a student mentor.
- 09/19: Student mentor list uploaded on CSGSO website.
- 09/25: Deadline to enroll as a student mentee.
- 09/28: Matching process complete, communication sent out to participants.