I am an assistant professor of computer science at Stony Brook University where I lead the Networking Research Group. My research interests are in the general area of computer networking and network measurement. Specifically, I aim to use insights gained through measurement to improve the security, reliability and performance of networks.
Recently, this has led me to focus on measuring online information controls: censorship, traffic differentiation etc. I'm also interested in understanding the nature of malware threats targeted at civil society organizations and measuring routing security. You can read more about these projects on the Networking Research Group and ICLab Web pages. I am also affiliated with the Systems group and National Security Institute.
- Mar. 2015 - Want to know if your mobile ISP is shaping specific application traffic? Try our Traffic Differentiation Detector tool!
- Feb. 2015 - My research on Internet traffic interceptions will be funded by a Comcast Tech Fund award. Thanks Comcast!
- Jan. 2015 - Happy new year! This year I am on the PC for: ACM CoNEXT '15, ACNS '15, Usenix ATC '15, and ACM IMC '15. I'm also co-chairing the Usenix Workshop on Free and Open Communication on the Internet (FOCI). Looking forward to seeing some awesome submissions! Please consider sending your work to these venues.
- Dec. 2014 - Our PAM paper using NLP to analyze the outages mailing list is posted in the publications section. Congrats to Ritwik, Abbas, Luis and Akassh!
- Dec. 2014 - Participated in The Workshop on Internet Economics at CAIDA.
- Nov. 2014 - Web page for CSE 534 is live. Click here
- Oct. 2014 - Our paper analyzing data from the OpenNet Initiative has been accepted to Transactions on Web. You can download a draft here.
- Oct. 2014 - I will be giving a keynote talk at the New England Networking and Systems Day at Boston U. this month.
- Sept. 2014 - Camera ready versions of our IMC papers are posted in the publications section
- Aug. 2014 - Arash and Abbas take runner up in the ACM Student Research Competition at SIGCOMM!
- Aug. 2014 - Information about CSE390 - Advanced Networks posted in the teaching section.
- July 2014 - Ars Technica did a nice write up of Citizen Lab including some of my work.
- July 2014 - My grant with Alberto Dainotti of CAIDA has been funded! Looking forward to doing some interesting research on detecting and studying BGP traffic interceptions in real time.
- July 2014 - Our papers on identifying censorship blockpages and characterizing mobile virtual network operators have been accepted to IMC 2014! Congrats to Ben, Tzu-Wen, Ayon and Fatima.
- June 2014 - Congrats to Abbas, Arash, and Rajesh on having a poster accepted to the SIGCOMM poster and demo session!
I am very grateful to the following sponsors for supporting my research:
Disclaimer: Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in research outputs (published papers, talks, blog postings etc.) are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the sponsors.