I am an assistant professor of computer science at Stony Brook University where I lead the Networking Research Group. My research interests are in the general area of computer networking and network measurement. Specifically, I aim to use insights gained through measurement to improve the security, reliability and performance of networks.
Recently, this has led me to focus on measuring online information controls: censorship, traffic differentiation etc. I'm also interested in understanding the nature of malware threats targeted at civil society organizations and measuring routing security. You can read more about these projects on the Networking Research Group and ICLab Web pages. I am also affiliated with the Systems group and National Security Institute.
- Dec. 2014 - Participated in The Workshop on Internet Economics at CAIDA.
- Nov. 2014 - Web page for CSE 534 is live. Click here
- Oct. 2014 - Our paper analyzing data from the OpenNet Initiative has been accepted to Transactions on Web. You can download a draft here.
- Oct. 2014 - I will be giving a keynote talk at the New England Networking and Systems Day at Boston U. this month.
- Sept. 2014 - Camera ready versions of our IMC papers are posted in the publications section
- Aug. 2014 - Arash and Abbas take runner up in the ACM Student Research Competition at SIGCOMM!
- Aug. 2014 - Information about CSE390 - Advanced Networks posted in the teaching section.
- July 2014 - Ars Technica did a nice write up of Citizen Lab including some of my work.
- July 2014 - My grant with Alberto Dainotti of CAIDA has been funded! Looking forward to doing some interesting research on detecting and studying BGP traffic interceptions in real time.
- July 2014 - Our papers on identifying censorship blockpages and characterizing mobile virtual network operators have been accepted to IMC 2014! Congrats to Ben, Tzu-Wen, Ayon and Fatima.
- June 2014 - Congrats to Abbas, Arash, and Rajesh on having a poster accepted to the SIGCOMM poster and demo session!
- May 2014 - Our paper on characterizing targeted malware attacks will appear at Usenix Security in August!
- Mar. 2014 - I’m in Toronto for the Cyber Dialogue conference. Looking forward to some interesting discussions!
- Feb. 2014 - I've received a Google Research Award to help fund my
research on Internet censorship. Thanks Google!
- Jan. 2014 - My
proposal Illuminating the Impacts of Internet Censorship with Principled Network Measurements has received the NSF CAREER award! Thanks NSF!
- Dec. 2013 - I'm happy to report that results of our survey of network operators about their routing policies will be appearing in ACM Computer Communication Review next month!
- Nov. 2013 - I will be presenting on a panel in the conference ``Known-Knowns and Unknowns about the Internet: Measuring the Economic, Social, and Governance Impact of the Web'' in DC this month.
- Oct. 2013 - Happy to report our paper characterizing online advertising systems received the best paper award at IMC!
I am grateful to the following sponsors for supporting my research: