- All devices such as laptops, cell phones, noisy PDAs, etc.
should be turned off for the duration of the lecture is and the
recitations, because they may distract our fellow students.
- Please come to all lectures on time and leave on time, again so
that there are no distractions to the classmates.
Students are expected to have the following background:
- Working knowledge of basic computer science principles at a level sufficient to write a reasonably non-trivial computer program in a language of preference.
- Working knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Understanding of the basics of probability and statistics.
Questions and requests
- You can ask your questions to the TA or the instructor by sending an email, or to your peers on the 'Blackboard' system.
- Regrading requests should be done in writing, via e-mail
to the TAs and the instructor, at the latest 48 hours after graded
assignments are distributed.
- The due date and time of assignments are posted on the
course web page under the Assignments tab.
- Slip days: To
accommodate for coinciding deadlines you may have from other
courses, or personal unforeseen events such as sickness, each
student is granted an automatic extension of 4 calendar days. You can use the
extension on any assignment(s) remaining during the semester. For
instance, you can hand in one assignment 4 days late, or each of
four assignments 1 day late.
- Late days are rounded up to the nearest integer. For example, a
submission that is 4 hours late will count as 1 day late.
- When you hand in a late assignment, you must identify at the
top of the each page of the assignment, (i) how late this assignment is, and (ii)
how much of the total slip days you have left.
- After you have used up your slip days, any assignment handed in
late will be marked off 25%
- Additional, no-penalty extensions will be granted only in
(medical emergency, immediate family emergency). Contact the
instructor, with written documentation, like doctor's note.
Stony Brook University, CSE 51d Data Science Fundamentals